You want to convert a basement into a game room after you’ve successfully transformed a guest room into a playroom. It’s time to have a dedicated space to for you, your children, or the whole family to enjoy. Regardless of the reason, you want a space to enjoy your favorite games, be they arcade games, table games, or a combination. The basement makes perfect sense because it’s better than building a room addition or converting another room in your home.
How to Convert a Basement into a Game Room
Basements provide the ability to have a dedicated space for a number of purposes: a media room, an apartment, a laundry room, an entertainment space, and more. It’s great to use it because it allows you to rid your home of that outgrown baby furniture or whatever might be lurking in the otherwise unused space. Another advantage of having a game room in the basement is it’s out-of-the-way and can also serve a dual purpose, being both a game and media room.
An evening full of games is not meant just for the kids. With pool, ping-pong, darts and more, there are plenty of activities to keep all ages entertained. You may think your home has run out of space for such an area, but it’s possible your basement is an untapped resource. Whether it’s already furnished or waiting to be redone, you can certainly rework it into a great game room with a little know-how. —Forbes.com
The biggest obstacle you’ll face is finishing out the basement, which can present a considerable cost. You’ll need to have it inspected by a licensed contractor to know what must be done to turn it into usable, livable square footage. But, once the basement is finished, it will add to the value of your home, plus it can be used for many purposes in the future. You can take the opportunity to install a bathroom and a small refrigerator, with some counter space. Here are some more helpful suggestions of how to convert a basement into a game room:
- Create a good floor plan. Take the time to draw a floor plan of your basement empty and then begin to select spaces for your arcade and/or table games. Try different configurations to maximize space and have plenty of room for everything to fit.
- Ensure it stays dry. Basements are notorious for being damp and this will be a huge issue if left unaddressed. You’ll need to make it waterproof so it won’t ruin your games and other items, such as flooring, furniture, and decor.
- Consider soundproofing. Even though the game room will be in the basement, it’s a good idea to at least consider soundproofing the space so it doesn’t disrupt the rest of your home. This is especially a good option if you’re going to also use it as both a game room and media room.
- Install plenty of electrical outlets. Another helpful bit of advice is to have several electrical outlets installed. Hire a licensed electrician to install plenty of GFI electrical outlets so you have power throughout the space.
- Put-in plenty of storage space. No matter what purpose the room will ultimately serve, be sure to install a lot of storage. You can opt to install a closet or purchase dual use furniture with storage space. Use vertical space as much as possible to leave enough room for all your games, furniture, and more.
When you’re ready to empty out your basement, phone 800-433-1094 or visit Haul Junk Away to schedule basement clean out service. We’ll help you get it all out and get organized so you can transform the space into a great game room.